Monday 14 February 2011

The donated sefarim

The printing of the sefarim was in its final stages. Demand was great and the first edition was a great success. Some additional Torah thoughts were added to the second printing. My husband was able to secure two sets of the sefarim, even though demand exceeded supply the second time around.
He told me that he would keep one set of sefarim for us while he would like to donate the second set to his shul. At first, I thought that I would like to have both sets, to pass on to the children. But then I thought that I was being selfish. If the sefarim remained in our home, only a select few would be able to derive pleasure. By donating one set to the shul, my husband was ensuring that many others would be able to benefit from the Torah scholar's thoughts.
The sefarim were stamped with the shul's name and they became property of the shul. One night my husband came home excitedly, "the Rav has been using the sefarim. He always uses a tissue as a placemark and I noticed one in the sefer."
I was glad that the sefarim had become communal property. But, one day, my husband related to me that the sefarim had vanished. Either someone had taken them home and had forgotten to return them, or they were sitting amongst the piles of sefarim in the shul and could not be found due to all the disorder and sefarim not being put back into their proper places.
So, I'm asking you to think back to the time that you borrowed an English ArtScroll sefer because you wanted to help your child with his Jewish studies. You only meant to borrow it for the night, but the sefer is still sitting on your desk.
Please return the sefarim so that others can enjoy them, as well. And, after making use of a sefer or a siddur in your shul, please return it to its rightful place. Because it's the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment